Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Leaping Lizards!

This post is the big reveal post.  Here's where we see exactly what the highway of death will look on the table, complete in all its miniature wargaming splendor.  Cars, terrain, the whole shebang.  This is the culmination of weeks of effort.  It's gonna be so satisfying.  It's gonna be great!  It's gonna be...

In the wrong scale.


These car lanes are half as big as they should be.  Way back at the start of this project, I decided to stick with the Division 5 cars.  The problem is that Division 5 cars are rated subcompact, and the 1" wide bases are too small to hold a m1:64 scale How Wheels or Matchbox car.  So I upsized the scale by fifty percent to make it work.  When I started the highways I used the old 1" = 1 lane rule.  

Like an idiot I didn't check the terrain against a reference figure.  I just plowed ahead with base measurements.  When your miniatures don't meet the terrain until two months into the project, you know what you get?  A lot of useless terrain.


The trees and billboards can be salvaged, but the boards themselves?  All that time and effort and paint and static grass (which ain't cheap)?  Wasted.

Maybe I can pawn them off on some sucker at a swap meet.  Anybody know any suckers?

5 comments:

  1. Oh, by the way it looks awesome. Too bad the scale. You could go micro-machines. They'd fit. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man - been following this for a while. Wrong scale ? Massive faceplam :(

    Conjuring up the dead spirits of every modelling faux pas I've made here - I feel for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought about moving down to micro-machine scale, but the problem is that the other terrain I've got is in the Matchbox scale. So I'd have to redo all of that other terrai instead.

    The good news is that the tiles used are the same as those for the big urban terrain set. And they are all in the same scale. Same color scheme, too. So technically, I could just add the roads to the buildings and we're all set - that gives me a total of 17 square feet of terrain that all matches up just fine for 28mm.

    When I get back from my travels, I'll post a few shots of it all together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sweet, can't wait to see it. Your stuff is making me move my butt to finish my stuff!

      Delete

Given the failure of the spam filters recently, we're going full Moderation on comments. Apologies for the trouble.