The green skins might surprise some readers. Most old-school painters go with the reddish to ochre skin of later editions. According to the Moldvay canon, orcs look like "a combination of animal and man," with no mention of skin color. Not only does the green skin adhere to the color picture on the cover of the B2 module, it's really the best choice from an artistic standpoint. It provides plenty of contrast against the brown leather armor that dominates the garb of these figures.
And just for reference for those of you who, like me, mix manufacturers, here's a comparison shot of a bunch of different ones.
- Ral Partha Europe Dwarf (15mm)
- Ral Partha Europe Elf (15mm)
- Splintered Light Thief (15mm)
- Splintered Light Orc with Spear (15mm)
- Splintered Light Orc with Axe (15mm)
- Pendraken Minotaur (10mm)
- Pendraken Ogre (10mm)
- Pendraken Ratman (10mm)
- Pendraken Lizardman (10mm)