Monday, December 10, 2012

Rocket Lessons, Part the Second

Do as I say, not as I do.  I did as I do, and it was a mistake.  So from here on out, I will do as I should have done and would have done, if I had somebody making these mistakes for me the way I'm making them for you.

I'm still convinced that these ladders, made from zip-ties, are going to look great; however, they could have looked great with a lot less effort if I was a bit smarter about things.  Instead of building and then painting, I really should have painted and then built.  

I cut my ties and glued them onto the structure, and that forced me to hand paint each of these little devils.  That took a really long time.  I should have painted them matte-black and then glued them to the walls, it would have meant an extra five minutes to prime them separately from the tower, but would have saved me the four hours of hand painting.  It also would have meant a lot less black smearing around the edges of the ladder.

There is a fix for the smearing.  I just have to mix my acrylic paint to the exact same shade as the tan primer, and then spend more time carefully edging the ladders to cover the smears.  It's not perfect, and it takes time out from other projects, but at least it's a solution.


3 comments:

  1. Smart looking Rocket. I am really enjoying this project. Every time I look something new to see. Excellent.

    AHHHHHHH! Captcha!! I hate them!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sucks. I'm building a diorama for a friendly competition and came a cross a similar problem however I destructed mine rather trying to do the fiddly painting. The Rocket is coming along nicely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Try to take comfort in the knowledge that you're not the only one who makes time consuming mistakes when working on gaming projects. (Trust me on that...)

    Despite that, your terrain pieces are truly inspiring - the Rocket is looking great!

    ReplyDelete

Given the failure of the spam filters recently, we're going full Moderation on comments. Apologies for the trouble.