Friday, July 19, 2013

First Ever Milliput Conversions

Well now, here's a thing.  Two part epoxy putty for conversions.  Let's start with something small and easy - adding helmets to armored orcs from's Space Viking line.  How hard can it be?  I've worked with small details.  I've spent hours working with clay.  I've even read two whole tutorials on this.  It'll be a breeze.  It'll be a snap.  It'll be...
Cue the foghorn "wah wah" sound effect.  Oh what price hubris.  These helmets are okay and suitably orcy, but man are they lumpy.  This can be fixed with a few coats of paint to smooth them out, right?
Halfway there
Oh, also, the only milliput the local friendly gaming shop had was some sort of terracotta, so I'm using "red dirt stuff" instead of green stuff.

Let's just close out with a comparison shot to make this post worth something.  These armored boys tower over the dwarves, and are hefty compared to humans, so this should work out okay in the long run.
Size comparison


  1. I think it's looking good! Can't wait to see it painted up :)

  2. Hi Warren, not to bad for your first try, I would say the lumpiness may be due to your choice of material, or not mixing the 2halves properly, Green stuff or pro-create are much better for small scale sculpting conversions, milliput is better for gap filling or building up bases, next time, to smooth out the surface, use a small paint brush dipped in water, or even better olive oil, although with olive oil you will need to give them a good wash before painting.

  3. They look ok to me mate. I'd go the greenstuff route as suggested by Dan, I've tried sculpting various bits with milliput and its crap for little fiddly things.


Given the failure of the spam filters recently, we're going full Moderation on comments. Apologies for the trouble.